11. What is the maximum Education Credits I can claim?
The maximum American Opportunity Credit is $2,500 per eligible student. The maximum Lifetime Learning Credit is $2,000. The maximum tuition and fees deduction is $4,000. The maximum Student Loan Interest you can claim is $2,500.
9. Can I check my refund status online?
You can check your own refund status online. Go to our contact tab, click on the link to check the status of your Federal, Missouri or Kansas returns.
6. What is the medical deduction percentage for 2017?
The medical deduction on Schedule A (itemized deductions) is 7.5% of your adjusted gross income for those under 65. It remains 7-1/2% for those 65 and over.
7. Is there a net investment income tax?
There is a net investment income tax of 3.8% now in place for people with high income from investments (i.e. interest, dividends, royalties, gains from sale of investment property). This is also a new Obamacare funding measure.
4. Will you e-file my return?
We e-file all of our individual returns, if possible. Signatures are required on form 8879 (IRS e-file Signature Authorization) to e-file your return to the IRS. Returns will not be e-filed unless we have the signed 8879 in the file.
Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is another point of concern. The IRS is watching EITC very closely because of rampant fraud. Unfortunately that means that those of us who are doing it right will be proving our position. If you are claiming EITC, we are requesting that you bring supporting documentation that the child lives in your home. We can use medical records,school or daycare records, social services, etc. The child must live with you for over one-half of the year. If you have an EITC audit, we can also rely on a letter from your minister. EITC is a great resource for qualifying people but it is imperative that we have documentation to support the credit.
2. Can we send a copy of your tax return to a bank or mortgage company for you?
One of the changes we are making immediately is the way we provide your tax return to banks or mortgage companies. You have 3 options:
1. We can email the requested returns to your email address
2. We can print a copy for you to pick-up here at the office
3. You can come into the office, sign a release and provide the email address for the institution
12. What is the new mileage rate?
The 2017 mileage rate is 53.5 cents for business, 14 cents for charitable miles, and 17 cents for medical and moving miles. The 2018 mileage deduction is still under review.
10. What is the Gift Tax annual exclusion?
The 2017 Gift tax annual Exclusion is $14,000. 2018 will increase to $15,000.
8. I am a same-sex couple. What filing status do I use?
The Defense of Marriage Act (DOMA) changed the filing status for same sex couples. If you have been legally married in a state recognizing same sex marriage (a “ceremony” on its own does not qualify), you are now required to file as married filing jointly or married filing separately.
5. Can I receive an Organizer to help me organize my paperwork before my appointment?
We will provide you with an organizer for your tax return at your request. Please call or send an e-mail to let us know if you would like this convenience.
1. What information will I need for the Affordable Care Act (ACA), also known as Obamacare?
If you received subsidy for health insurance in 2017, you will receive a 1095A. Other ACA forms which you may receive are the 1095B or 1095C. If you receive one of these forms, please bring them to your appointment.